Friday, September 6, 2013

How Joe Dirr's Practicum Helped Define His Career Goals

Joe Dirr is an exercise science major at Elmhurst College, and in the summer of 2013, he completed a clinical practicum at two sites which helped him solidify his future career goals. Below Joe shares some highlights about his experience. 


At Athletico, I learned about the different treatment methods and periodization of patients coming in for physical and occupational therapy. I learned a lot about the different injuries and heard interesting patient stories. I was able to learn from the sport performance trainer and how he trains the athletes that come into Athletico. I talked with the athletic trainer and gained more insight into what he does. The best part about Athletico is that there are so many different occupations working under the same roof, and I observed them all which really helped make up my mind what interested me most.

Joe (right) poses here with his site supervisor at Athletico.



At the Academy of Athletic Advancement, I learned how to open and run your own fitness facility and what it takes to market it to the community. This was a very hands-on internship, and I was expected to show that I could lead classes by first making it through one of the toughest workouts that they have.  Before I was done, I had created and led my own Boot Camp class and led athletes through every single workout the Academy offers. I learned how to work with everyone from grade school athletes up to professional athletes. I learned how to push clients past the point where they think they can’t go and how to motivate them to succeed in every workout. This facility will show you what equipment and training looks like at the professional level and is a great place to learn sport performance training.

Joe (left) is pictured here at the Academy of Athletic Advancement with his site supervisor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment